Installing Our Sound Studio for Our Tomato Experiment

You may have seen the YouTube video online where tomatoes grow more if they are bombarded with classical music and less if they are bombarded with rock music. We are interested in just how much of an effect music really has on plants.

While the online videos were interesting we thought it would be a cool campaign to see just how big we could grow our vegetables using this same technique. So we enlisted the help of a sound proofing sydney to install a sound studio for us – where we could blast powerful music and then see what the reactions would be like from the plants.

The whole endeavour took some time to setup – and there was also the question of what music we should play. We knew that we needed 3 groups. Two test groups and control group. Firstly we would need vegetables that would not be exposed to any music at all.

Then we would need vegetables that were exposed to positive music – and finally we needed vegetables that would be exposed to negative music.

Of course – you may ask – who chooses what is negative music and what is positive music. That’s a tough one. We decided to use classical music as the positive music and very dark metal for the negative music.

We then proceeded to do the expermine. We had our soundproof rooms setup – as we didn’t want sound from one room to go into another room. So we had a total of 3 rooms as per the control case studies that I had mentioned before.

As we conduct this experiment we look forward to seeing what the results would be. The actual vegetables we picked are standard pumpkin, zucchini and tomato. We had to get these vegetables within the same sizes and be in the same condition. There was no point in putting one vegetable within a room that had better ventilation than another room – and then saying that it was the music that caused it to grow bigger. Nor is it a good idea to give more water to one group of vegetables and then say it was because of the music.

This also goes for soil and many other variables.

So we had to test both the soil density, and use the same soil – which was easy – but the biggest challenge was getting the air quality control to be consistent within the same rooms. We hooked up air testing machines that were setup to WiFi and would be able to report the results of their air tests to a log which we could then check to ensure the air quality was consistent in all the rooms.

Some may say that our methods are not 100% accurate but we will see what the final results will be – the music by the way is:

* Good music – Beethoven
* Bad Music – Death Metal
* No Music (control group)

We’ll be posting the updates as we proceed.

Of course we hope not to hurt the plant’s ear drums – we don’t want to be called in.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *